What's Up Cape Town?


The flights to get here were grueling.   Sleep deprivation has definitely set in.  Didn't sleep much the night before in New York and maybe slept a couple of hours on the leg from JFK to Jo-burg (14 hrs, 50 mins), and none on the 2hr, 30 minute flight from Jo-burg to /Cape Town.  We got to walk the pull-up stairs from the plane to waiting busses in Jo-burg and then walk up the stairs to the departing plane and back down stairs in Cape Town.  What's up that Virgin Atlantic gets an actual gate?   Also saw the largest Air France plane I think I've ever seen.

We were in and out to the Cape Town airport in 40 minutes.  What we saw on the way to the Cape Town hotel were the "townships" or the apartheid shanty towns that still exist today.  You would see a shanty town on one side of the freeway and nice single family homes on the other side.  We'll learn much more tomorrow.

The most exciting thing (no my room doesn't overlook Table Mountain but it does overlook the city and waterfront.  I can see Cape Wheel from my room)!
I was able to make both appointments I had arranged to photograph two churches listed in the book "Hidden Cape Town" and had the nicest East Cape young man (who I think is a private driver for the hotel) drive me.  He drove me, waited for me to go in and take pictures and then drove me to the next church.  I told him I could walk back to the hotel and he said "no, I will wait for you."




These are from the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of St. George in Woodstock, Cape Town



These are from the NGK Tafelberg Church (Dutch Reformed Church) in Cape Town proper.  I really need sleep because tomorrow is a new day in this beautiful and busy city.  Pray for no tablecloth on Table Mountain tomorrow.  The cable cars only operate weather permitting.

Later peeps!!








5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you haven't got much sleep yet - hoping you'll rectify that before your next tour! Love your pictures so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy you're awesome. Great pictures of the church's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures of beautiful you're a great tour guide. Safe travels my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pictures of beautiful you're a great tour guide. Safe travels my friend

    ReplyDelete